Is your home prepared for summer weather conditions in Bloomsburg, PA?
The summer months may bring sudden and heavy rainfall, leading to basement flooding. Plus, your home’s plumbing system may become overworked by excess water usage (e.g. garden hoses, sprinklers, pools, fountains). This can put a strain on your whole system. To avoid summer plumbing issues, follow the steps below to make sure your home plumbing is in tip-top condition.
Preventing Indoor Summer Plumbing Issues
In the summertime, you may encounter problems with moisture, leaks, and clogs inside the home. Help prevent common indoor summer plumbing issues by following these tips:
- Check for and fix household leaks, including leaky toilets, faucets, and shower-heads.
- Install a whole-house water security system to prevent future leaks and water damage.
- When preparing food for summer barbecues and family picnics, avoid putting banana peels, corn husks, fats, and cooking oils down the garbage disposal to prevent clogs. Or, upgrade to a heavy-duty garbage disposal.
- Help conserve water by following these tips for household water conservation from the Alliance for Water Efficiency.
- Take the proper measures to prevent basement flooding, outlined below.
Preventing Basement Flooding
Many homes in Bloomsburg, PA and surrounding areas are prone to basement flooding. The following steps will help you foresee and prevent potential flooding problems.
- Check your basement for water seepage during and after heavy rains. (If you notice seepage, a sump pump is recommended.)
- Check basement floor drains and sewer lines for blockages that may cause water backup. (We recommend scheduling regular drain and sewer cleaning.)
- Keep your gutters free of debris so that water can move freely through them, and make sure your downspouts are directing water at least 6 feet away from your foundation. Install downspout extensions if needed.
- Install a hard-working sump pump. Located in the lowest part of your basement or crawlspace, it pumps water away from your house, keeping your basement dry and protecting your home from costly damages and mold.
- To ensure your sump pump is running smoothly and ready to handle summer rains, schedule a professional plumber to perform routine maintenance.
More Plumbing Tips
For more tips on how to prevent outdoor plumbing issues, check out our blog.
Have any questions? Need help preparing your home’s plumbing system to prevent summer plumbing problems? Contact us! Call our office at (570) 784-5900 or just send us an email.
Monday, July 15, 2019